Dave, a good friend of mine, stopped by at the shop yesterday to pick up some steel pieces he had me cut on my plasma table. He saw the two pipe stands that I bought last week and modified a bit, to make them meet my needs in the shop a little better. I added some lockable casters, a removable flat top to fit on the vee-head that is standard on pipe stands, and a set screw, to keep the head from rotating. Dave liked them so much, that he asked me to make him a set too! Here are the pictures to show the process for start to finish! Enjoy!
Here is the vee-head of one of my pipe stands.
The two pipestands with the added casters, and the removable flat tops that I made.
After Dave left, I picked up all the parts and pieces that I needed to complete his set.
After grinding off the paint on the base plates, I welded on the caster plates that I cut on my plasma table.
All the casters in place!
I cut two pieces of 3″ by 3″ square tubing and cut out one side on my plasma table.
After centering the vee-heads in my flat tops, I welded some tabs in place, to lock the vee-heads on one side.
I modified some hinges to act as a clamping device for the vee-heads on the other side.
A modified hinge next to a hinge ready to be changed.
The hinge welded into the flat top with the set screw in place.
Another picture with the hinge in the open position to insert the vee-head.
To create a stop for the hinge, I took some bolts, cut them to length, added a hole for a safty pin, and drilled through the sidewalls of the flat tops.
Hinge in the open position!
Hinge in the closed position before inserting the locking pin.
Locking pin in place. Now the set screw can apply pressure to the vee-head and hold it securely in place.
To be able to finger tighten the set screw, I added some big washers and welded them to the bolt head.
My “Third Hand” in action!
First test tightening of the set screw. It worked like a charm and locks the vee-head securely in place.
Another picture! One done, one more to go!
To get the second one done was a breeze after knowing that everything was working properly.
I was happy with the result.
Getting a welding nut for the set screw ready for welding. This will lock the threaded hight adjuster in place and eliminates the head from rotating.
After everything is done, a peek from underneath!
The safety pin for the locking pin
The set screw for the hight adjuster.
36.5″ high at the lowest setting.
56.5″ at the highest setting.
Dave’s set is ready for pickup!